Independence means having opportunities to think, plan, act and take sensibly calculated risks without continual reference to others. We aim to maximise our service users’ independence in the following ways.
- We help service users to manage for themselves where possible rather than becoming totally dependent on care workers and others.
- We encourage service users to take as much responsibility as possible for their own healthcare and medication.
- We involve service users fully in planning their own care, devising and implementing their care plans and managing the records of care.
- We work with carers, relatives and friends of service users to provide as continuous a service as is feasible.
- We aim to create a climate in the delivery of care and to foster attitudes in those around a service user, which focus on capacities rather than on disabilities.